Wednesday 3 September 2014

Ekadasi Mozzarella Burgers- gluten free

Burger and chips... a children's favourite!

Usually we make veggie burgers with some sort of beans or grain like rice flakes, oats or quinoa, but it' also good to have a burger recipe for days when you're not eating grains (like Ekadasi) or if you are cooking gluten free. I made these variations on the veggieburger using mozzarella cheese and I must say they have a great texture; crispy outside and soft inside- and refreshingly free of potato. They hold together very well too. Having just acquired a deep-fryer, I couldn't resist serving them with chips made from our organic home-grown potatoes; as you can see if you look closely at the picture above, I don't peel them. The quantities given below make seven good-sized burgers:

1 large courgette
230g vegetarian mozarella cheese (drained weight)
100g ground almonds
a handful or two of buckwheat flour to bind
turmeric powder (haldi), seasalt and black pepper to taste

This is the sort of consistency you need the mix to be for shaping.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! These look and sound AWESOME!!!! Yum! Might have to try these, too!
    I see I have some catching up to do on your blog - stay tuned for more comments to approve! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarojini, How are you? I have not been blogging lately - Am on to catering (trying to get it off the ground) advocating gluten free vegan cooking and my saturday market which starts back in April .. I have a cooking demo at Whole Foods this Saturday - wish me luck! Also have I also shared the fact that my mom's name was Sarojini and I've used it as a middle name for my 6 yr old. .. was looking up recipes for the cooking demo and ended up browsing comments and remember you fondly... my best to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's lovely to hear from you again. Happy to hear your news of the catering- I used to have a small catering business about 10 years ago- it's really great fun. gluten free and vegan always goes down well. Good luck with your demo- you will be fab :) Let me know how it's all going, All the best for 2015 Sarojini x

      Delete

Please say hi and let us know what you think!