Saturday 30 August 2014

Two Luscious Eggless Birthday Cakes- white chocolate fudge and toffee fudge



When two of my stepsons celebrated their birthdays within days of each other, they  both asked for very different cakes: A turned 15 and asked for "Toffee Fudge" and Yadu turned 24 and asked for "A white cake of some sort..." so I had my work cut out! Here's how I made them:

 Y's White Chocolate Fudge Cake. An ordinary vanilla sponge filled and topped with white chocolate fudge icing, which consisted of equal quantities of buttercream icing and melted Belgian white chocolate (400g of chocolate in all went into this cake!) I didn't have quite enough to  cover the sides of the cake, but next time...the decorations were dried strawberries, which I coated in white chocolate.
A's Toffee Fudge Cake. This time I adapted my basic cake recipe to be more caramel-y by using dark brown sugar and swapping 1/8 of the sugar for golden syrup, added with the liquid ingredients. The filling was a jar of dulce de leche (Argentinian spread of boiled down milk and sugar- they also have it in Normandy,  France, where it's called confiture de lait) but you could make your own by boiling a can of condensed milk unopened for a couple of hours; when you open it, you should get virtually the same thing. The frosting is chocolate fudge icing, made like the first cake only with milk chocolate. The decorations are fudge pieces. Suffice it to say you don't need a big slice of this one...!

3 comments:

  1. WOWZA! I really want some! I have to admit - I'm an awful baker - so I don't have many desserts or sweet tooth items like this - but I really want to try some!!!! Might have to give it another go - a brave attempt at baking! Might have to be a future goal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Wow amazing, love to taste all....thanks for sharing!!!
    <a href="http://agriculturalinformation4u.blogspot.in><b><Agriculture and Technology></b></a>

    ReplyDelete

Please say hi and let us know what you think!